Tuesday, February 9, 2010

FUNNY EDLUND GROSSES OUT

If you are a pretty much obsessed Supernatural fan then you probably are familiar with the name Ben Edlund.

He did a quick appearance in the SPN interview video from the 100th episode party ~ the guy with the quirky beard ~. A better description of Edlund from the original article that I think sums him up perfectly :

"just imagine Shaggy from Scooby Doo, only with Velma's intelligence"


The man who is the mind behind some favorite SPN episodes of all time, such as "Monster Movie" ~ whackjob shaper-vamp? EDLUND'S ~, "Bad Day at Black Rock", "On the Head of a Pin", "Wishful Thinking" ~ praise for the drunken suicide-prone teddy goes to him ~, "The End", and many others.


This talented writer catches an interview with BuddyTV about the show and episodes he's worked on.

HIGHLIGHTS

** While Ben Edlund was known as the comedic writer on Supernatural for a long time, recent episodes like "On the Head of a Pin" and "Abandon All Hope" have changed that perception. "The challenge has been you've got to get from this point to this point in the larger story, and how do you make its own episode out of it," he said. "I've been really fascinated with that challenge. I'm into that engineering now."

** Ben Edlund has written a man's head being impaled on a meat fork in "Bad Day at Black Rock" and Dean torturing Alastair in "On the Head of a Pin," so it's pretty disturbing that he thinks his grossest gross-out yet comes in this week's "My Bloody Valentine." He said: "Now I'm working in drama as opposed to comedy, a lot of gut-punching and gross outs. There's one coming up in "My Bloody Valentine" that is disgusting. It's horrible. I mean, I just write it down, I can't imagine someone would go off and shoot this crap. It's just gross."

** While Supernatural still has season 5 to get through, Edlund did comment on what a possible sixth season might look like. "It will be nuts in season 6. I'm going back to funny in season 6 because who knows what the hell it's gonna be, it'll be fun. We open doors emotionally and tonally on [season 5], so this thing has to end with a certain tone. But after that we can reset in a lot of ways and go back to stand alones that have a different index of stakes and I can be funny again, which I'm looking forward to."

or you can




ORIGINAL BUDDYTV


Looking at the episodes he was behind, I think this eccentric genius might be my favorite writer on Supernatural. Fudging epicness.







curious about the Vday gross-out he's been bragging about,

Super and Natural **MissTee