Wednesday, January 13, 2010

ZACHARIAH LIKES TO RESCUE DOGS

SupportSupernatural has had their very first interview of 2010. Its with the man who plays the duwshh-of-an-Angel Zachariah on our Supernatural, Kurt Fuller!

Lets see what the Archangel has to say for himself,

SupportSupernatural (SSN) : When did you decide you wanted to pursue acting as a career? Were you outgoing as a kid?
Kurt: I was outgoing as a kid and I loved to make people laugh, but I had no interest in acting until I got to college. Like a lot of actors, I first went to acting class because that’s where the girls were!
~ LMAO! ~


SSN: What was the most intimidating audition you have ever had?
Kurt: When I first got to L.A. and started auditioning I was VERY nervous and insecure. One of my first auditions was for a television show – I don’t remember which one, it was 25 years ago – and I was so nervous I actually fainted in the middle of it! I woke up on the floor of the casting director’s office and made some lame excuse about “recovering from the flu”. Incredibly humiliating and no I did not get the part.

SSN: You've worked in movies and television. Do you prefer one to the other? Movies, as we know, can take a while to film, whereas a TV series is under a tighter time-constraint.
Kurt: When I was younger and single I preferred movies because I loved to travel and going on location is an excellent way to explore new places. Now that I’m married and have a family I prefer T.V. because the schedule is consistent and it allows me to stay home. Yes T.V. schedules are more compressed, but creatively, I think (good) T.V. and movies are almost indistinguishable in terms of quality. Look at Supernatural – great writing, great acting, the only thing that would be better in a movie would be production value ~ aww Fuller :) ~ . The special effects budget would be much larger.

SSN: You have also done theatre work. How does live theatre compare to television and film? Is live theatre more nerve-wracking or more of a rush for you?
Kurt: I prefer live theatre to anything else. And it is both nerve-wracking and a rush. You’re performing in front of live people! Anything can happen!! But you also get to play your character over the two hours or so of the play. That’s much more satisfying than the 10 or 20 second bursts of performing required by film.


SSN: You’ve had some really fun roles, from Wayne’s World to South Park. What has been your most enjoyable project to date?
Kurt: That’s a tough one. I’m going to say the series I did for Comedy Central; “That’s My Bush”. It was created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park fame, and I found them to be so funny and creative. They inspired me to push myself comedically and creatively like no one else with whom I’ve worked.

SSN: According to IMDB, you have a bunch of projects you are working on. Can you tell us a bit about them?
Kurt: The upcoming project I’m most excited about is the movie “Nailed”. It’s a comedy directed by the wonderful David O. Russell, and stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Biel. Tracy Morgan (from 30 Rock) and I are partners in the film and we had a blast.

SSN: Why did you choose to adopt a rescue animal?
Kurt: That was a no brainer. With so many ownerless dogs that need homes, our family never considered a pet store.

SSN: How was your experience with A Dog's Life Rescue?
Kurt: Perfect. Nala, our dog, had been loved and protected by A Dog’s Life and we just tried to continue what they’d been doing.

SSN: How is your dog adapting to its new home?
Kurt: Knock on wood, it’s been very smooth. Nala is just another member of our family. One thing – we have a cat, Callie – I just don’t think there is ever going to be a Love Connection between Nalla and Callie. They tolerate each other, but that’s the best we can hope for.

SSN: What do you like best about your new pooch?
Kurt: She’s got a great disposition. She’s always up for a walk. She LOVES squirrels. But what I like most is her incredibly expressive face. I could sit and watch her all day.

SSN: How do you like playing the badass angel? “Zachariah” is a really great role!
Kurt: I love playing Zach. I think he’s got a great sense of humor and an incredibly imaginative way of wreaking havoc on Sam and Dean.


SSN: Some actors say that they bring a little bit of themselves to each role they play. In what way (if any) are you like Zachariah?
Kurt: Zachariah is very determined and he believes in himself, but he’s also a bit awkward. Me too.

SSN: Tell us what it is like on set for you. It is all hard work and long hours, or do you get to goof around at all?
Kurt: Because it is hard work and long hours goofing around is absolutely essential. I think the great attitude among the cast and crew starts at the top. Jared and Jensen are such good guys, as are the producers, that everybody feels loose and that makes the work more fun.

SSN: Dean says some pretty harsh things to Zachariah and about the angels in general, but he says some really funny things as well. You do a great job keeping that stern manner. Do you ever find yourself laughing at the lines Jensen delivers, or are you able to keep that straight face throughout? Also if you do laugh, could you give a story or example of a scene that just had you cracking up or laughing after a certain line was delivered? ~ great question! ~
Kurt: Oh my God. I can’t pick just one. Oh wait, yes I can. There was an intense scene in “Lucifer Rising” where I’m face to face with Dean telling him, as usual, “Get with the program or else!” At the same time I had broken (temporarily) Sam’s legs so he was on the floor at my feet. At home, you saw me an inch from Dean’s face glowering and threatening. What you didn’t see was Jared, off camera with a compressed air can the camera people use to blow dust off the lenses, sticking the nozzle up my pants leg and blasting me with air. True story.
~ ROFL i die of laughter imagining this happen ~

SSN: Where would you personally like to see the story arc go next?
Kurt: Personally I just want Zachariah to live, but I fear he is too evil to survive the season. As for story arcs I won’t presume to second guess Eric Kripke and the writing staff. They’re doing a fine job without my help.

You know, to be quiet frank I HATE ZACHARIAH SO FUDGING MUCH.
He is just so self-righteous and annoys the hell outta Dean that I can't help but feel annoyed myself. Zach is probably my least favorite angel, after Uriel of course.

But that just means Kurt is doing a bang up job with his evil-angel character. And I think Zach's alter-ego is a pretty cool dude! :)




Don't forget to checkout A Dog's Life Rescue site to either simply give support or adopt your own :)



Zach needs to GTFO but Kurt can stay,
Super and Natural **MissTee